Posted in Blog.
December 19th, 2018
Common Running Injuries | Low Back Pain
As runners, we are no strangers to injury. Googling is often our go-to when we feel some discomfort pop up, but can oftentimes lead us down a rabbit hole, or provide less than accurate information.
Doctor of Physical Therapy Raechel Bugner shares some of the common running injuries we see here at Finish Line PT, how you can diagnose them, and some recovery/rehab suggestions.
This week’s COMMON RUNNING INJURY:
Low Back Pain (LBP)
What is it?
- Pain focused in the lower back
- Usually tightness in the front of the hips and/or mid back that causes increased stress to be placed in the spine to compensate for movement.
- Often causes increased extension in the low back and compression on spine with overuse of back musculature to maintain this posture.
Rehab & Prevention Tips:
- Foam roll/hip mobility — take standing or walking breaks at work to prevent excess hip tightness
- Pay attention to posture, just as slouching isn’t great, neither is the polar opposite, you need to be somewhere in between
- Strengthen your core in 3D (try these 3D Pelvic Drivers)