- This event has passed.
W O R K S H O P | Mindful Practices for Effective Training
September 15, 2019 @ 2:30 pm - 4:15 pm$50
Mindful Practices for Effective Training
Utilizing Yoga & Mindfulness for Powerful Training Adaptation
Finish Line Physical Therapy
Sunday, September 15th
If you want to run your best marathon this season, less may be more. Join Coach Rebeka Stowe and Therapeutic Yoga Teacher and Massage Therapist Amanda Kerpius for an immersive workshop experience to learn more about mindful practices and tools you can incorporate into your daily routine for effective training.
We will address what goes into a complete training program, tools & methods for essential recovery, and the effects of high volume training or overtraining. Overtraining is what happens when the training load exceeds the body’s ability to recover. This leads to decreased performance, susceptibility to injury and sickness, anxiety, depression and sleep disturbances. Simply put, overtraining is under-recovery due to keeping the body in constant over-drive. Learn about the signs and symptoms of Overtraining Syndrome and walk away with tools you can use to prevent it from derailing your marathon training.
W O R K S H O P F L O W
E D U C A T I O N
+ what causes overtraining and what does it feel like
+ what does an optimal training season look like?
+ how can you manage your performance compared to your teammates and running peers
R E F L E C T I O N & A W A R E N E S S
+ journaling on your training experience
+ positive language orientation
+ goal setting & mantras
R E S T O R A T I V E Y O G A
+ set your intention for practice
+ achieve your optimal state of recovery through yoga breathing & meditation
+ find deep rest through gentle yoga & restorative yoga
Signs of Overtraining in The Body
- Loss of enthusiasm and drive
- Loss of joy and thirst for competition
- Lethargy; listlessness; tiredness
- Easily irritated, anxious, depressed, unable to relax
- Changes in sleep patterns; insomnia
- Poor coordination
- Impaired physical performance; inability to complete routine in training sessions
- Abnormal rise in heart rate upon standing; during workout after workout
- Slower recovery in heart rate after exertion
- Heavy-leggedness; sluggishness that persists for more than 24 hours after a workout
Signs of Overtraining in The Mind
- Athlete is prone to doing too much
- There is a psychological burnout
- Tendency to perfectionism in performance
- If the athlete performs below expectations, how are they coming with the performance?
- Is the athlete over-concerned with how she/he is performing compared to others?
- Does the athlete experience stress and anxiety when she/he does not perform as well as others?
**Noakes, Lore of Running, 486