Owner, Physical Therapist, Coach
Michael founded Finish Line Physical Therapy in 2006 to provide the highest quality of care, service and personal attention in a comfortable, supportive and friendly atmosphere. He received his Bachelor of Science degree in physical therapy from Hogeschool Enschede in the Netherlands and has been a New York State licensed physical therapist since 1997. Michael is recognized as a Fellow of Applied Functional Science (FAFS) through the internationally acclaimed Gray Institute.
Michael is passionate about endurance sports, both as a participant and coach. He has run more than 20 marathons in such cities as New York, Boston, Chicago, London, Philadelphia, New Orleans, San Diego, Arizona and Anchorage. He has also completed the Lake Placid Ironman three times. He’s been a member of New York Road Runners since 1998 and has competed in countless running events and triathlons, both at Olympic and Half-Ironman distances.
As a coach for the NYC chapter of the Leukemia and Lymphoma’s Team in Training program from 2002-2016, Michael trained hundreds of runners, from beginners to advanced marathoners. In 2016, he was named the head coach of Team for Kids, a group of adult runners who raise funds to support running and fitness programs for for New York Road Runners’ Youth and Community Services programs.
Michael’s valuable advice and expertise have helped countless runners prevent or overcome injuries, allowing them to reach their goals of completing a half or full marathon. His experience as an accomplished athlete and coach gives him a unique perspective and understanding of how to provide the best care for both the competitive and recreational athlete.
- Professional Certifications
- Fellow of Applied Functional Science from the Gray Institute
- Full Body Active Release Techniques (ART) Provider
- Postural Restoration Institute Coursework: Myokinematic Restoration, Pelvis Restoration and Postural Respiration
- Institute of Motion Level 1 and 2 Mentorship
- Functional Soft Tissue Transformation Certified
- Nike NG 360 Golf Performance Specialist
- VDotO2 Run Smart Project Certified Distance Running Coach
- The Skinny
- Hometown: Massapequa, NY
- College: SUNY Cortland and Hogeschool Enschede in the Netherlands
- My teams: NY Giants, Mets, Duke
- Favorite music to listen to at work: Classic Rock station or Tom Petty
- Best way to stay active: Running and biking
- What I Like:
- About FLPT patients: Our clients are extremely active and motivated to get better. They are challenging in the sense they want to get better yesterday, but that’s the part I love the most.
- About running/sports: I like having the ability to turn everything else off and get lost in my own thoughts. I love the competition – not the competition against others but the competition against myself. Can I do it, and can I do it faster.